Friday, February 1, 2008

Name Chatter

Wow, the cool thing about the internet is that it teaches you how to use itself. So, I have placed a "shout box" to the right of the posts here. They are also called tag boxes or chatter boxes, etc. I had never heard of or used one before so this is actually a bit of an experiment, but what in this process isn't. Luckily we are all self-actualizing, life-long, reflective learners. It's like we all went to Montessori or Waldorf school. Anyway, hopefully this will work out well. My greatest fear is that it somehow will mess the entire blog up, but it doesn't seem to be yet, so I'm crossing my fingers on this.

The purpose here is to have a continuous discussion about a name. The group decided to table a decision on a name for the time being as nobody (including ourselves) was overly enthusiastic about the names we were suggesting. So, PLEASE help us out by lending us some of your creativity and responses to suggested names.

To use the Name Chatter box:
1)Enter your name and message at the bottom of the box. (I just ignore the URL, but if somebody knows that that is a bad idea, please let me know)
2)Click Shout!
3)Enter security code when it appears.
4)Click Submit

It is actually extremely easy. Have fun!

Thanks again!
Alicia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, I tried using the shout function but couldn't get it to work. I don't have any great name ideas, but a suggestion. Since I am not very involved, so take it as from an observer. After being involved in naming several entities over the years, looking back I think that simple is better. As adults we want a name full of all the meanings we have for the project we are birthing, but the name doesn't have to tell it all. but from noticing what I like, it seems like simple 1- or 2-word names work best. Ask yourself these questions...will I like the name in 10 years? Will I feel confident using it with people, or awkward? What names of other groups have I liked, and why? And what name would my kids like to say everyday, imagine your child saying "mom, I am so excited to go to xyz school today!" Other than that, I don't like Driftless and I think Whole Child should be in the subtitle or mission statement, but not in the name of the school itself. Thanks, Amy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the comments, Amy! The problem with the chatterbox was that there were too many good comments for one entry. So, I took your comment, split it up into two entries, dropped the first part and put it on the chatterbox.

For others, feel free to do the same (use multiple entries) if you have lots of good stuff to say.

Thanks,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

I've gotten more feedback that perhaps "extremely easy" is relative to getting a root canal.
Three things might be preventing success here:
1) It's a bit touchy
2)Your message is too long (enter it as two shorter messages)
3)You are hitting Shout again after entering the security code rather than Submit (I have done this a couple of times)

Also, always feel free to email me with something you want put on there if it isn't working or you just don't want to mess around with it.

Thanks!
aliciatrout@mac.com