Sunday, February 3, 2008

Blending Thoughts

Hi,
It seems that we are moving ahead with a primary classroom blending Montesorri and Waldorf. So, before we meet to discuss that with the Montessori board, I think we should brainstorm what that could look like. I was having a difficult time envisioning it, as the philosophies are so varied, but then someone presented this idea...

Perhaps Waldorf curriculum (involves much more teacher direction) could be utilized in the morning and the afternoon could be reserved for Montessori curriculum involving more student-directed choice or the afternoons could be reserved for projects, etc. (reflective of "unschooling").

This is would make sense with brain research (I believe) as the time in the morning, students are more able to focus on direct instruction, etc. Then, they would have the opportunity to choose their activities/progress at their own pace in the afternoon when they might need more flexibility. Of course, the afternoon "works" could also include Waldorf projects/handworks too.

I think it is a great idea, but I'd love to hear other ideas as well.

Thanks,
Alicia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of exploring this more. One of my issues with public school is that there is precious little time to follow your own passions. Consequently, I think many of us grow up somewhat lost as what those are for ourselves and have to spend a good deal of time re-finding the self we knew as children! :) I also advocate freedom in terms of time for the sheer joy of playing alone and with others.

I ALSO like the idea of children being able to leave with an adult to go to a class in the afternoons, that might be away from school. It's been hard with Aidan being in school to schedule his violin lesson. He used to have it at 2:15 or 2:45 but it was a problem with school to have him leave early like that. I think other activities are nice to encourage.

Blessings,
Parker

Anonymous said...

oooh, I hadn't thought about the convenience of having the afternoon time available for outside lessons, etc., but I really like it!
Alicia

Anonymous said...

I think this idea is appealing for a number of reasons. Just in terms of honoring and implementing two very disparate teaching and learning systems, splitting up the day seems like an easy way to go about it. It would be nice to really truly integrate both philosophies (and others) throughout the entire experience, but again, that's a lot easier said than done.

I REALLY like the idea of having "free" or "loosely structured" time every day for the kids to explore their own motivations and passions and selves. To me, that's what is lacking in "conventional education," and is one of my main motivations for wanting something different.

I guess another way one could split up time would be to have some days structured, some days not, or something. Just brainstorming here...

Rachel